Hesston Public Library will be closed Thursday, October 26 to allow staff to attend the annual meeting of the Kansas Library Association.
Bring a blanket or lawn chair and join us at the Hesston Public Library on eclipse day!
- build a pinhole viewer
- watch live-streaming video of the eclipse from around the country
- observe the eclipse
- build a solar pizza-box oven
- listen at our sunny storytime
WE DO NOT HAVE ECLIPSE GLASSES TO
GIVE AWAY AHEAD OF OUR EVENT*
*we have a limited number of glasses that will be available for our event
Come party at the library for the Total Eclipse!
The eclipse will be visible in Kansas around 1 pm on August 21, 2017.
Throughout August the library will feature books and activities on space, our sun, and solar energy.
On Monday, August 21st, we’ll have all the supplies you need to witness the eclipse safely. All day, we’ll have sunny crafts, snacks and stories!
- 12:00 – 1:00 – Come prepare your eclipse viewer
- 1:00 – 1:25 – ECLIPSE TIME!
- 1:30 – Sunny story hour
- All Day – solar crafts, information about our solar panels, great space information
Sign up begins on May 22nd.
Check out the library’s Summer Reading webpage for all the exciting activities!
Sponsored by the Golden Plains Credit Union
Literary Peeps are back!
Grab some Peeps marshmallows, think of a favorite story, and get creative. Pose your Peeps in a diorama telling the story.
- Enter at the library’s front desk during business hours April 3-8. Entry forms are available at the library or here.
- Entries will remain on display throughout the month of April.
- The public will vote for their favorite dioramas in each category on April 10-15.
- The Peep-le’s Choice Awards will be announced by April 21. Winners will receive fame, glory, and a Peep-tastic gift!
- Pick up entries by April 30.
- Contest is open to all ages. There are separate prize categories for children (grade 5 and under), teens (grade 6-12), adults, and groups.
- Dioramas must be based on a book or literary theme.
- All characters must be portrayed by Peeps marshmallows.
- Dioramas must be shoe box sized, or no larger than 18” x 18”.
- Limit the use of food items (other than Peeps).
- Have a title displayed on the front of the diorama.
- Entries may be submitted at the Library’s front desk during business hours on Monday, April 3rd – Saturday, April 8th.
- All entries must be submitted with an entry form.
- HPL reserves the right to omit any entry that is deemed inappropriate.
Spots are still available! Call the library at 620-327-4666 to register.
The Hesston Public Library has lots of activities planned for this fall and winter. We hope to see you at one or all of them!